EaP expert meeting on border and migration management in emergency situations to be held in Budapest on 23-24 March
On 23-24 March, the experts from the EaP countries, the EU Member States, international organizations and NGOs will gather in Budapest, Hungary, to discuss emergency situations caused by natural or manmade disasters which have resulted in mass migration and involved large numbers of vulnerable migrants. The meeting will have a special focus on the issues related to the management of mass migration from war-stricken regions.
The aim of the meeting is to present tools, mechanisms and best practices which provide for the balance between the facilitation of movement, protection of those who cross the borders in emergencies and the security of the national borders.
The discussion will be structured around the following issues:
- national and international legal framework in relation to emergency situations,
- the activities of the organizations and persons implementing/applying the legislation,
- infrastructural and technical conditions to provide security for the borders and safety for the migrants,
- financing of border and migration management systems, and
- cooperation among relevant stakeholders involved in the management of emergency situations.
For more detailed information about the meeting, organized jointly by Hungary and Moldova with support from the European Commission and Mission of the International Organization for Migration in Ukraine, please see its Concept Note.